East Boldre has three war memorials. One is attached to the side of East Boldre Village Hall which includes names of soldiers from both East Boldre and Beaulieu Parishes; there is a memorial for servicemen from East Boldre Parish in St. Paul’s Churchyard where there are also twenty-one war graves and there is a brass plaque in the Old Chapel at East End which commemorates three WW1 servicemen from East End. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website has no record of the war memorials at the Village Hall or at East End Chapel.
The Memorial in St. Paul’s Churchyard repeats some of the names seen on the Village Hall memorial. Originally the names were carved into the stone base of the memorial but these are now weathered and hard to read. The names now appear on four plaques arranged at the base of the memorial. There are six names for WW2 on one plaque and seventeen names for WW1 on two plaques.
The war memorial at East Boldre Village Hall has recently been restored. The memorial shows 26 names of servicemen killed in the First World War and 14 Names of servicemen killed in the Second World War.
The Old Chapel at East End was built in 1811 to satisfy the local need for a place of non-conformist worship. It later became used by the Congregational Church and then by the United Reform Church. It is now privately owned and is rented for offices.
The commemorative plaque was erected by the Malcolm Family for those members of the congregation who lost their lives. It reads:
IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF
LANCE CORPORAL JOHN SIMPSON MALCOLM.
24TH BATTALION MACHINE GUN CORPS.
ELDER SON OF
MR & MRS GILBERT MALCOLM, CLOBB FARM.
WHO WAS KILLED IN FRANCE. MARCH 22ND 1918. AGE 19 YEARS.
AND ALSO OF
GEORGE ETHERIDGE. 1ST HANTS REGT.
WHO DIED WHILST A PRISONER OF WAR IN GERMANY APRIL 17TH 1915.
CHARLES GREGORY, HAMPSHIRE REGT.
WHO WAS KILLED IN FRANCE. AUGUST 2ND 1917.
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS. THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS